Friday, October 17, 2008

Exploring New York


It's been a while since I last write. I've slowly been exploring New York and trying to catch up on things I should have done or discovering new gems. I got to ride the Cyclone before it shut down for the rest of year. I also caught myself some fresh whiplash as a souvenir.



I also had some friends from Holland visit so I got to see some places I haven't been to like Govenor's Island and Harlem. I was really disappointed by Govenor's island. It's tiny, the ferry ride is only about 10 min, and it's not as luscious and green as I imagined it to be. We did a self guided walking tour of Harlem which was nice. We visited the famous Abyssinian Baptist Church and visited some houses with old wooden porches. I was also able to score some Yankee tickets and checked out the stadium before they tear it down. I think it's the first time I've been there. To me, since I don't have any memories tied to the sport, it was like visiting any other place. It doesn't hold any sentimental value, but I was glad to have had a chance to visit a place where history was made.

I've also been exploring little holes in the walls and discovering new places with great food. There is a great falafel place near Katz's deli where they make fresh pitas and tasty falafels. The guy working there was Moroccan. He seems to really love his country. I also found this delicious taco place in Hells Kitchen. Outside it's a bodega but there is a small window inside with 2 mexican ladies making tacos. I think they make their own tortillas. The tacos come out looking like the ones I had in Mexico. They had my favorite lenguas (tongue). They also had other meats like ear, chicarron (pork skin), salted beef, etc. I definitely want to go back. The place reminds me of my times in Mexico. Niquoa and I would get two tacos for $1 off the cart. Of course the tacos here cost more -- $2.50 and up. I saved on the price of airfare though.

2 comments:

  1. Meeting the Industry’s Needs!

    Last years Bar Show objective was: “Get Answers for Your Business!” At this year’s Bar Show, show floor demonstrations and seminars will put much more emphasis on mixology and improving your bottom line. With hundreds of exhibits, there is something for everyone, including bar and restaurant personnel to food and beverage managers.


    The modern barchef, mixologist or bartender must stay up with the latest drinks, wines and beers. Actual instructions on the latest recipes will be available from some of the finest bartenders in the business. These informative sessions on how to make a well-balanced cocktail menu, using fresh, seasonal ingredients will be part of the balance of the menu, very similar to the way a chef balances a food menu.

    Since its inception in New York City, The Bar Show has grown into the largest show of its kind on the East Coast and has expanded its credibility by incorporating training into their seminar series. Every aspect of the show will help enhance an establishment’s bottom line, whether through proven training procedures or new innovative products and services.

    The 10th Annual Bar Show will take place June 14-15,2009 at the Javits Center in New York. For more information contact: www.newyorkbarshow.com or 860-677-0094.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!!! This featherplucker used your post to advertise.

    ReplyDelete