Monday, October 29, 2007

Kiku... and other random thoughts

Last weekend I went to the NY Botanical Garden in the Bronx. It turned out to be really nice. It was my first time there and I really enjoyed it. The reason 4 Japanese ladies ventured out into the Bronx was to see the Kiku (Chrystanthemum) exhibition. It always impresses me how Japanese will take something ordinary and will keep refining it until it's perfect. There were different types but the type I liked was called Ogiku or big kiku. They were about 2-3" in diameter as seen to the left. If you looked at an individual flower, the arrangement of the petals looked like someone with bedhead.

This need to seek perfection, is also apparent in other areas - food, clothes, art, etc. I just read an article saying that there are now microbreweries popping up in Japan. Although this is new territory, the article mentioned that there are already some really good beers that can compete with countries which have been producing beer for generations. Being Japanese, this is definitely something I can appreciate and be proud of.

Having been raised in the US, I feel a need to explore this phenomenon as well as other aspects of Japan. I want to know more about the country's history, culture and people.

1 comment:

  1. Ya left out one really big category...automobiles.

    Those flowers look cool...like a crowd of people with yellow, white and pink hair done up in afros.

    Al

    ReplyDelete