Friday, March 21, 2008

Chichen Itza


I finally made it to one of the Seven Wonders of the World! I had a tough time understanding my guides so I won´t attempt to reiterate any of the history. The temple itself was a little different from what I expected. Maybe it was shorter or narrower? I can´t really tell what I was expecting. I was also hoping to climb it which I am sure would wake me up and make me realize how tall it is. 90 steps! I definitely don´t think I am in any shape right now to be doing cardio. There were many interesting facts we learned but the one incredible one I took away was when you clap in front of the temple, you hear an eagle´s cry in the echo. They could also predict when there would be an eclipse. The 21st of March is supposed to be the day of solstice where an effect is said to take place twice a year. The sun shines down on the staircase in a why that it looks like a snake. It started raining around 4pm so we were unable to witness the phenonmena. Ended up with a postcard instead.

1 comment:

  1. I woulda clapped the US national anthem. >:P

    ReplyDelete