Thursday, April 24, 2008

Progressive but no internet

Ok. It is hard to imagine that a country that seems to be keeping everyone on their toes in terms of inventing new technologies (sp?) has hardly any (closer to none) internet cafes. And when I do find one, it took a while for me to figure out how to spot it from changing my English words to Japanese. Haha. Anyway, I love Japan. It`s so beautiful. The landscape of the mountains is breath taking. It is no wonder that every single Japanese person has a huge SLR hanging around their neck... sometimes two. These old men and ladies with round back are hobbling with cameras that have huge lenses on them. It`s pretty funny actually. We fit the steriotype very well.

The food is sooo good too. I have been OD`ing on bamboo, miso, soy products, mushrooms and fish. Surprisingly, I think there are more overweight young people now. Many girls are wearing micro shorts with thigh high socks and showing off their thick legs. I know it`s mean but it`s true. It is a really bizarre look. Not only are they wearing thigh high socks but they are in distracting patterns like multicolor stripes.

In every country I visit, boys are usually thin. I can`t figure that part out. Are the women taking the food away from the men? As usual, the boys in Japan have long hair and always fixing it in the reflection of a window if they are not carrying a mirror.

I went to Nara on my second day here and it was really beautiful. It is not very far from Osaka. Up until now, Kyoto was my favorite since there are tons of temples and history but Nara is just as beautiful with as many temples. They also have deer walking around the park which Kyoto does not have. Since they are protected animals, they walk around looking for deer biscuits you can purchase for 150 yen. I went early in the morning, so the deer I was feeding were pretty hungry. They stepped on my feet which quite a bit. I got some cool shots though.

Now I am in Akita. Yesterday I got to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom. It was the reason why I can here so I was really happy to have a chance to see them. The trees looked like they were covered with snow and they were everywhere so it was truly an awesome sight.

3 comments:

  1. i didn't see any internet cafes when i was there, but there were computers with internet at the cultural center, or community center.

    can't wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...skinny is right...I scared the hell outta some dudes at a little laundromat there with my jeans.

    ReplyDelete