Saturday, May 18, 2013

Carbo-loading

Maintaining a "healthy" diet by American standards has been challenge. The meals in Japan highly favor simple carbs - noodles (ramen, Okinawa soba), white rice, and white bread. At home, I try to eat lean proteins and vegetables, but the salad craze hasn't reached Japan. I will be headed to Akita soon where I will have access to a kitchen and supermarkets so I'm looking forward to that.

Avoiding carbs has not only been a challenge, it has been a test of will power. I love LOVE noodles and they are so good in Japan. Okinawa soba is chewy and delicious. Ramen is flavorful and cheap - 800 yen for a bowl of ramen, fried rice, and 2 shrimp tempura. The bread is fluffy, even at McDonald's. I'm surprised people here aren't fatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment