Sunday, May 26, 2013

Masked

Traveling around Japan I noticed A LOT of people wearing surgical masks in public. Obviously the sick wear them to prevent spreading their germs. Then there are the germaphobes who wear them to prevent from getting sick. This still leaves too many.

In an article I read, it listed other reasons:

- Prevent/reduce allergy symptoms
- Cover bad breath
- Hide a pimple
- Women wanting to appear mysterious to men (similar to wearing oversized sunglasses)
- Hiding emotions or facial expressions

The last item is interesting. In Japanese culture they say the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. By wearing a mask, they can hide their emotion and/or facial reaction to reduce attention to themselves.

The phrase also explains why everyone wears white surgical masks rather than something colorful or printed with a cute design. In 2007 I went to Ho Chi Minh and observed everyone wearing masks; however, it was out of necessity. The air is extremely polluted and after walking around a few hours my eyes stung. Back at the hotel, I noticed my nostrils were black. Gross! The masks in Vietnam are colorful and come in a variety of patterns. I am not as familiar with Vietnamese culture, but individuality was not discouraged. It rather seemed capitalistic and encouraged people to stand out in order for their business to thrive.

Before signing off, I would like to clarify that Japanese people are accepting of individuality and cultural differences. On this trip, I met and spoke with a lot of natives who were genuinely interested in my background. They enjoy learning about the differences in cultures throughout the world. In the school and work environment, individuals may be required to fit in with certain norms, but their free time is spent exploring their own interests. The surgical mask is just one visual reminder of our difference in values.

No comments:

Post a Comment