Saturday, May 31, 2008

Antwerp

Antwerp was nice. Cute town. I didn't think I would like it because supposidly it's the shopping mecca but I found some interesting sites by walking around. There are lots of cute little streets with tiny shops. I found an area where graffitti is legal, a candy shop with chocolates in the shapes of private parts, checked out the photo museum, old town, churches, etc. The frites were good. I had some with the curry sauce which was excellent. Belgian frites are good because they use a different type of potatoe and triple fry them. I also had a chance to speak to this lovely gentleman who was missing his front teeth and had BO. He insisted on walking around with me to show me the city. Charming. Yes there is some sarcasm in that statement. I tried a piece of chocolate but I couldn't really appreciate it since I'm not a chocoholic. I did buy some chocolate liquor which I'm saving for later.

'Antwerp' means hand throwing. It's named that because there used to be a giant who chopped people hands and throw them in the river. When he was finally overthrown, his hand was cut off and thrown in the river as well. When you walk around, you see a lot of hands. Chocolates in the shape of hands or hand figurines in the stores.

I loved my hostel. I stayed at ABHostel. It has a full kitchen stocked with china, silverware, spices, and fridge. She provides breakfast with tea and coffee. The rooms and bath are clean. There is a living room with dvds and books for you to watch or read. I felt as though I was in someone's home. I would definitely recommend the place.

2 comments:

  1. good thing the hand was what they decided to chop off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. you would come up with that.

    ReplyDelete